Cellulite is a skin condition that makes the skin appear dimpled. This dimpling is caused by fat deposits under the skin. Notably, cellulite is mostly noticed in the buttock and thigh regions, and mostly affects women in their mid-thirties- progressively getting worse over time. The most effective way to decrease cellulite is to shed body fat. Eat better, and exercise more often.
It has been found that there are many causes for one to get cellulite. First, diet plays a huge role. If you eat too many fatty foods, carbohydrates, too much salt, or not enough fiber, you are likely to accrue a higher amount of cellulite than those who live a healthier lifestyle when it comes to the foods eaten. Lifestyle also plays a huge role in the appearance of cellulite. Those that smoke and lead a more sedentary lifestyle are more likely to get cellulite. Standing or sitting in the same position for extended periods of time is bad for the skin! Hormones have also been found to have an effect on the appearance of cellulite. Estrogen, noradrenaline, prolactin, and insulin all play a part in cellulite production. It could be in your genes! Gender, race, metabolism speed, and fat distribution can all affect the production of cellulite.
In order to prevent cellulite, there are a few things that you can do. Of course, there is nothing that can be done for genetics- those are permanent! Eating well and exercising daily will help to prevent the appearance of cellulite. Strength training has also been found to combat cellulite while making you toned! Keeping the diet well balanced, with lower fats and higher fiber is the best option when it comes to eating.
Foods to Improve the Appearance of Cellulite
Incorporating these foods into your diet will help in your fight against cellulite:
- Bananas: Bananas assist with healthy blood flow within the body, which ensures that the skin cells are getting all of the required nutrients to keep them healthy. The increase in blood flow also helps to reduce toxins within the body that can lead to cellulite build-up.
- Brussel Sprouts: This vegetable contains indole-3-carbinol, which forms a substance that blocks 16-OH estrogens that contribute to collagen breakdown. Loaded in vitamin C!
- Water: Drinking more water results in more fat loss. It increases the “full” feeling and pushes waste products through the body quicker.
- Garlic: Garlic helps to prevent weight gain and increase weight loss. It breaks down fatty deposits within the body while working to enhance the function of the metabolism.
- Papaya: This fruit helps to prevent tissue damage from occurring under the skin. It also has more vitamin C than oranges!
- Avocado: Oleic acid in avocado helps to reduce appetite, which helps with weight loss. They are also a great source of Vitamins C&E!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This vinegar helps to flush out toxins within the body, and reduces water weight. In turn, the appearance of cellulite is reduced.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is a good source of bromelain, that helps with protein digestion. It breaks down build up in the blood vessels, which increases blood circulation to the skin.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has been found to help with circulation and the digestion of fats. It also helps to decrease the waste that builds up under the skin. Ursolic acid, found in rosemary, helps to increase collagen production and strengthen capillaries. Flavorful and beneficial!
- Eggs: The whites of the egg are an ideal source of protein that also have a low calorie and fat content.
- Oily Fish: Oily fish contains omega-3 fats, which help to smooth the skin. The fatty acids help to metabolize the fat-causing cellulite.
- Cayenne Peppers: Cayenne peppers are a great source of vitamins C&E, potassium, and vitamin B6. Capsaicin, found in cayenne peppers, increases the body’s heat production, which makes energy burn quicker.
- Chili Peppers: These peppers are bursting at the seams with potassium and vitamins C&E. Capsaicin increases heat production in the body, making fat burn at an increased rate.
- Green Tea: Green tea is great for weight loss because it helps to speed up metabolism, which reduces the amount of fat that can be absorbed by the body. Theobromine, contained in green tea, works as a stimulant to release stored fats within the body. Less fat means less cellulite!
- Blueberries: These are great for a multitude of reasons, but when it comes to cellulite, their high concentration of anthocyanins is great for increasing collagen production in the skin. This makes cellulite less visible and reduces the connective tissue that causes the skin to ripple. They are also a great source of vitamins C&E, and antioxidants.
Of course, there are many other foods that can help in the fight against cellulite, and the above is not an all-inclusive list. But, incorporating the above foods into your diet is a great way to begin combating cellulite and keeping the body that you love!
Request a Consultation
Once you’ve watched some of our patients’ videos, we welcome you to visit us to discuss your cosmetic goals. Ready to get started right now? You can receive a free consultation by selecting one of the times our doctors have set aside exclusively for Web visitors.
Dr.Rapaport has been an acne scar expert for over 20 years. Patients come from all over the world to seek his expertise to reduce & rid of acne scars.
Non-invasive way to gently and effectively reduce fat in targeted areas of the body that results in a noticeable, natural-looking fat reduction in the treated areas.
Reduce fine lines simply and quickly with BOTOX® injections, so there’s really no need for risky, invasive surgery that could leave you scarred!